Thursday, February 26, 2009

Planning New Work


It's now time to plan, and work on, Orange Construction Fences #67 and up. Just as I was inspired by a neighbor's construction project, which led to my December 2008 12 x 12 x 12 Series piece, I am also inspired by an other home construction project not quite a mile away, on Oak Street, here in Natick Massachusetts (where I live), as shown above.


A few nights ago, I did something that I rarely do, I made a sketch on my computer of what I'm going to use as I work on #67 and probably 68, 69 and 70. It's really difficult to break out of the grid of the printed construction fence, and also paint on one side of the fabric, knowing the other will be face out, without some kind of sketch. My brain has a hard time breaking a design in my head in to a grid, restructuring the grid, and also working on it mirrored. Am I making sense here?

Because of that, I now have the sketch, which will be a starting point for my new work. My next step is to pick out which grid/shape of an orange construction fence I will use when I print the fabric for these pieces. I'm hoping I have a few hours to print this weekend, since it's easier to do it in daylight, and also have a number of uninterrupted hours to work. Looking at the weather forecast for Sunday, where snow, rain, and sleet is predicted, that could be the best day to stay home and make art.

I have finished working on Orange Construction Fences #63, 64, 65 and 66, and I'm bringing them to be photographed tomorrow. As soon as I have the photos, I'll post them here on my blog, and on my website. For these pieces, I used the same photo, but created four different versions, which you can read about here. While I did pretty much stick to the same colors and overall design structure, each of these four pieces has a very different look.

I really liked creating a series (of four) within a series, and I will be doing it again with the Oak Street house photo and sketch. I may also use it as inspiration when creating a smaller version, for my March 12 x 12 x 12 Series piece. Do check back to see my progress. I assure you the different variations will be interesting.