Monday, December 8, 2008

12 x 12 x 12 December 2008


I've been working on my 12 x 12 x 12 Series for two years, and above is the one I made for the month of December.

For most of the past two years, I've used different large buildings as my inspiration for many of my monthly pieces, and all of my large work. To get images to use as inspiration, which for me is a large scale construction project that's in the beginning to middle stages, requires some luck and good timing when out and about. The luck is finding a good project, and the timing is going by it when there's good day light, and when I can get out of the car and take some pictures.


I've never used a home construction project as inspiration for this series until now. There's a home at the end of my street that was knocked down, and is being replaced, by the same owner who has lived there longer than my 20 years in the neighborhood.

I've recently noticed some home construction projects are using a plywood-like board, with one green side on the outside, for the walls, and a similar board on the roof, that's a red-brown.

Part of my routine is to try to get a brisk half hour walk in at least 5 days a week, if possible. This means I get to see the progress being made on this home just about every day. I took the picture above a few days ago, and used it toward this piece.

The colors aren't my usual "Jeanne" colors, the grid is wobbly, and the abstraction is really out of scale, and I couldn't be happier. I really like it! It's more playful and relaxed than most of the other 12 x 12's I did this year. That makes my reason for working on my 12 x 12 x 12 Series well worth doing for the past two years, and for the new year to come.

If you want to know more about this series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.

* * * * * * * * *

Don't forget to visit Small Art Showcase and The Fine Art Department.