Tuesday, April 14, 2009

12 x 12 x 12 April 2009


My April 12 x 12 x 12 is finished, after some struggle physically and figuratively.

This piece did not turn out as I had thought it would. I based it off of the photograph I posted here. Sometimes I have an idea, and it takes a life of its own, as is the case with this.

As I struggled with how to complete this piece, I posted the pictures of the fabric here on this blog last Sunday and Sunday, and I also solicited feedback via my Twitter account, my FaceBook account, and also when an art friend stopped by yesterday. I got interesting and useful suggestions, and I very much appreciate it.

Physically, this piece was also difficult to sew (even by machine) and trim (the threads). I hurt my hand in January, and it's still very sore as I work on my physical therapy exercises. Hopefully it'll feel better soon.

I'm thinking about making a second version of this piece, because when I was in the middle of making this one, I had an idea about another way of doing it. Since I have a personal rule not to stop or throw my 12 x 12 x 12 series away once I start, I kept going and finished it up even if it wasn't going as I had hoped.

If you want to know more about this series, you can read past posts about my 12 x 12 x 12 series here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.