Saturday, April 11, 2009

In Process - 12 x 12 x 12 April 2009






I've been painting fabric for my April 2009 12 x 12 x 12. The photos above are some of the steps I took near the end of painting. I didn't think to take pictures from the beginning.

The photo below is my inspiration. You can read about how I found this photo here.


So far, this piece isn't looking anywhere near what I imagined it would. The scale is off, and the colors weren't turning out as planned, and it now has a new life of its own. I painted over the green "windows" with a metallic white paint because they looked awful. Now the whole thing is getting more graphic designy. I'm not thrilled with how it looks, but I bet when it's stitched it'll be nice. Stitching can really change everything depending on what color/s of thread are used, and the placement and amount of stitching.

I have a rule that for that once I start a monthly 12 x 12 x 12 piece, I have to finish it, which means I have to find a way to make something I'm not happy with work. That's why I'm making plans on how to make it more successful.

I commonly feel this way about some of my work when I'm creating it. That makes me work harder, and usually the end result is well worth it. Not always, but usually. We shall see soon enough because this piece has to be finished by the end of April.