Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Printing/Painting on Fabric

I've been stuck while working on the fabric for Orange Construction Fence Series #60. I wanted to bounce some ideas off an art friend who critiques my work, and I didn't have time to visit her until late last week. She had some suggestions, which I'll try to do soon.

In the mean time, while stuck on #60, I started working on Orange Construction Fence Series #61, with the plan being that the back (wrong) side of the fabric would be the presented side of the fabric when stitched. As I was finishing up my painting, I realized that I should have used a few different paints to have stronger sections on the wrong side of the fabric (shown above), and that I like the front side better (shown below).

I'm going to stitch the front/painted side out (above) for this one, and make another version, replacing paint in some sections, so Fence #62 can be similar, but be shown back side out. Will post #62 when there's something to show.

Both #61 and #62 are influenced by this image of a condo construction project in Natick MA, where I live.