Sunday, December 29, 2019

Ideas for New Work in Progress


My husband and I recently got home from an amazing 17 day journey in Seattle where I donated my left kidney in exchange for the new kidney our son received from an anonymous donor in October. Late at night on December 17 my kidney flew on the red eye from Seattle to Madison WI to its recipient, who is also anonymous for the next few months. I made a few paintings about the process before my surgery and I plan on making a few more in the weeks and months ahead depending on my energy levels as I recuperate. I have 30-40 actual photos of my insides during surgery, and I’m taking photos of my scar each day as it heals. And there’s also this scan of my insides taken last summer, when I had two kidneys, that I’m planning on using in a few embroideries. I’ve got lots of ideas. Hopefully I’ll have enough energy to pull this off sooner than later.