Thursday, December 6, 2018

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 December 2018


I've been working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series since January 2007. 12 x 12 x 12 December 2018 is the last piece in this 12 year series. 


It was created with a photo of the springs inside of a mattress made by Posture Products Inc in Massillon, Ohio on June 17, 1954. The mattress was one of the many items I found when I emptied my mother's home in November before it was sold.

Also in this painting is monoprinted fabric from a construction fence I had hanging out in my studio, and there are also pieces of fabric scraps from the yearlong piece that documents how many steps I walk each day. You can see what that piece looked like at the end of November.

In November, I created a 12 x 12 x 12 painting that that incorporated photos of the cotton batting inside the same mattress. You can see it here

Over the past 12 years, I created 144 paintings that measure 12" x 12" on 1" board. This project gave me time to create one piece each month. It was a wonderful opportunity to experiment with an idea, or technique, or a combination of both, and it was good to do it on a regular basis, no matter what else is going on in my life. Sometimes I liked the paintings and sometimes I didn't, and that's OK.

Now it's time end this series, and try something new with no time, media, or size restrictions.  Starting in 2019, I'll be doing work that's more experimental. Stay tuned.