Sunday, November 25, 2018

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 November 2018


12 x 12 x 12 November 2018 is created with a photo of the cotton batting from inside of a mattress made by Posture Products Inc in Massillon, Ohio on June 17, 1954. This was one of the many items I found when I emptied my mother's home this month before it was sold. 

Also in this painting are some black and white pieces of monoprinted fabric from a construction fence I had hanging out in my studio. There are some fence "holes" and a piece of implied grid from the fence. I don't usually have intentional symbolism in my work but this month it's very intentional.


I've been working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series since January 2007. I'm now one month away from finishing my 12th year. After I finish my December painting sometime next month, that will be the end of the series.

It has given me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month, no matter how many other things are going on that month. It's been a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. This series has been about experimentation and creating something on a regular basis, no matter what else is going on in my life. Sometimes I liked a piece, and sometimes not. This month I do.