Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Working In the Studio...


I don’t usually write about what work in process in my studio because it’s hard to photograph, and explain, but I really like what my tabletop looks like right now, and I wanted to share it.

Between Christmas and New Years Day, the ice on a local pond was thick and very safe to walk on. It went from perfectly smooth to snow covered that week. We had the opportunity to walk on it three times, and I took photographs each time.

One group of photos is of leaves imbedded in the ice. I have begun to prepare them for my next series of eight 14” x 14” mixed media paintings, that I might name Beyond the Fence: Leaves in the Ice, or something like that.

I’m going to use eight different leaf/ice photos next to a blown up, out of proportion version of the same leaf (as shown above), combined with stitched monoprints of a construction fence. It will be a similar combination of layering used for the January 2014 and November 2013 12 x 12 x 12s I created.


Above are two sets of leaf photos taped to my worktable while I apply ten layers of acrylic matt medium on them to make the “skins” of the images. Below is a picture of the table quite full of leaf/ice photos, as well as four photos of a construction fence surrounding a tree in Boston, that I’m preparing for a separate painting, my February 2014 12 x 12 x 12.