Wednesday, November 20, 2013

12 x 12 x 12 November 2013


I tried something new this month for my November 12 x 12 x 12. On first glance, it looks like encaustic, but it’s not.

I collaged fabric strips of monoprinted, painted, and stitched construction fences on a board (which was not new). Then I added a layer of acrylic “skins” that I made of images of photos of actual bunched up construction fences (which was new) on top of the fabric collage.

I really like how I can see through the “skins” and see the painted and sewn fabric behind it. This opens the door to many more ideas for the future.


The first time I used these same “skin” images was for my May 2011 12 x 12 x 12 (above). 

Additional images were ready to use since then, but I never got around to it. A few weeks ago I started using them for a new yet-to-be-named series on boards that measure 12” x 9”. Four are already finished. I plan on making four more shortly. More about that sometime soon.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series is my time to play with materials or an idea. I'm nearing the end of my seventh year working on this series. Each piece is mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. You can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.