Tuesday, January 7, 2014

12 x 12 x 12 January 2014


I decided to continue my 12 x 12 x 12 series into an eighth year. 

For my January piece, I layered acrylic "skins" of photographs of pond ice on top of a stitched monoprint of a large gridded construction fence on fabric.

This month's piece is an experiment before I commit to starting on a at least one new series of work that incorporates monoprints of construction fences with more photos of pond ice.

As most of us in the US have been experiencing incredibly cold weather for much of the past few weeks. That has led to great pond ice. My neighborhood in Natick, MA is a few short blocks away from Morse's Pond in Wellesley, which has been fun and very safe to walk on recently.

I've taken many dozens of photos of the ice, with and without snow cover. I've been especially interested in cracks in the ice, and also fragments of oak leaves that were imbedded in the ice. Expect to see more about this in the very near future.


The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series is my monthly time to play with materials or an idea. Each piece is mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. You can read past posts about this series here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.