Tuesday, May 8, 2012

12 x 12 x 12 May 2012



Like April, my May 12 x 12 x 12 once again uses some of the cut threads that I’ve been collecting. This month they are black and white, and last month they were very colorful. The first piece I made using threads was in June 2011. Now I have three pieces that I'm quite happy with.

I create the groupings of threads and then I cover them with matt medium, to keep them together as a group, creating a "skin" that can be applied to a painting. I've been thinking about how to incorporate the thread clippings into bigger work, not just in my 12 x 12 x 12 series. I made 16 skins on Sunday night, which are almost dry. I also have 5 that I made a few weeks ago, and I have enough unused thread collected from friends to probably make 6 more.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. If you want to know more, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.