Wednesday, June 15, 2011

12 x 12 x 12 June 2011


For my June 12 x 12 x 12, I decided to play with the acrylic "skin" I made of the black and white (mainly black) cut threads that I had leftover from my two week residency at the Vermont Studio Center in May.


It's always felt wasteful throwing threads out after each project, so this time I poured matt medium over them while in VT and I let them dry. Quite honestly, it was pretty obscene when I first made it, so when I got home, I painted gold paint over the whole thing and then I cut into it. Now that it's been altered, I felt much better using it.


I attached them to some monoprinted fabric of a section of lattice, and a piece that I had printed the holes through a construction fence, that I first attached to a 12" x 12" board. Then I poured a glossy medium on top of it because the "skins" were sticking up pretty high on top of the fabric covered board, and I wanted to level the whole thing more or less, and also not have it look like the "skins" were an add-on.


Now the whole piece is relatively on a similar plane. The gold/threads part is a matt finish and the rest of the piece is glossy clear. I like the matt/gloss contrast, and also the black/white/gold. I am inspired to make more that are similar.


Since I mainly use black or white, thread donations of any color are being accepted if you have any to donate.


The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. More info can be found here on my blog, and also on my website.


Shown: 12 x 12 x 12 June 2011, mixed media on board, 12" x 12" x 1", 2011