Wednesday, February 8, 2012

12 x 12 x 12 February 2012

Continuing with my experimenting with zippers, February 12 x 12 x 12 incorporates 1.25 polka dotted zippers, as well as monoprinted fabric of the grid and the holes from construction fences.

One might ask how can there be 1.25 zippers? The .25 is the remainder of a zipper I used in the how-to book I'm in the process of writing. The end of the zipper was sitting on my worktable and instead of throwing it away I put it to good use.

One thing I learned about working with zippers this month is, if you sew the top end of the zipper shut, sew it to fabric, and then open it as one would normally do with a zipper, and then mount it on board of canvas, the chances are pretty good that it's going to look rather obscene if you don't rotate it from a vertical position, and if you also don't do anything to obscure it in one way or another. That's about as descriptive as I'm going to get about the problem I ran into. In the future, when I'm using zippers that will be opened in a similar fashion, I'll use many, not one, in hope of avoiding this problem. I don't know if what I'm saying is making sense to anyone else but me. But that's what I'm gonna do.

The other thing about this piece is that it looks like it has a zipper on it, and in the future, I want to be sure it's not obvious. I know how I want to do this when I start working with monoprinted yardage of fabric, but on boards I'm not so sure. I need to keep thinking about it.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. You can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.