Thursday, January 5, 2012

Writing Set up

I'm writing a new how-to book (which is scheduled to be published in the Spring of 2013), and I'm amazed how much technology has changed since I wrote my last book.

In 2006, when I wrote The Uncommon Quilter, I worked at my desktop when working at home, and my laptop when on vacation. All of the sketches for the illustrations were created for the illustrator, not very well in my opinion, using Photoshop and my mouse, which for me is like drawing with a brick.

Fast forward to 2011/2012 and I'm working with very different tools. I have my ipad partnered with a wireless keyboard with Wingstands holding them together. I got the Wingstands via Kickstarter a few months ago.

While creating the samples for this book, I can sit at my sewing table as I cut and sew at my sewing machine, while I can type instructions using notes on my ipad, and I can also sketch the illustrations using Penultimate and a Bamboo stylus, also on my ipad.

Then I email everything to my self so I can access it to on my desktop, where I can edit, save for the illustrator, and etc. I like that I don't have to run back and forth from my sewing area to my desktop, which would be distracting. Thank you new technology!