Tuesday, May 18, 2010

12 x 12 x 12 May 2010


In preparation for what will soon be a new series named "Holes in the Fences," my May 12 x 12 x 12 piece and my April 12 x 12 x 12 piece, were created to play with a few ideas.

I have a lot of cut "holes" in two different sizes after finishing both my Weathered Fences and my new Backyard Installation. My plan is to make collages on boards with the holes and partial holes from the outside edges that were left over from all of these pieces.

For my May 12 x 12 x 12, I started by painting lavender fabric paint on the gessoed canvas, and found that it was scraping off as I used a putty knife to attach the holes with a heavy matt medium. Besides the fact that I needed to lighten the background lavender, I also needed to seal the fabric paint so it wouldn't come off in the future. To do this I covered it with a layer of matt medium, and with a few layers of white acrylic paint that was watered down with watered down matt medium.

The "Holes in the Fences" series has been on my mind for more than a month now, and I'm hoping to start working on it ASAP. After discussing my work with two Art Consultants last weekend at the second Portfolio Review I attended, I've decided to start by making six pieces that are on 24" x 18" x 1.5" cradled boards. Last month I said I would make them on 12" x 12" x .75" cradled boards but I've decided that that's too small. This decision was partially made from the advice I was given on size of future work, but also because I don't want these pieces to be as "tight" as my April and May 12 x 12 x 12's are. I want more room to play.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" canvas. If you want to know more about the 12 x 12 x 12 series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.