Friday, May 14, 2010

New Backyard Installation

Yesterday I took down the installation that I made in my back yard in May 2009, and installed a new piece. I decided to recycle the metal frame I used for the last one, and use it again for the new one. There is a fall blooming clematis growing next to it, and I am hopeful that it will grow on the new piece this year, just as it did last year.

This new installation is created with printed/painted/stitched cotton fabric, that is coated with watered down matt medium, which I hope will help keep it drier than the last piece. The other difference between this piece and the old one is that this one has color on both sides (the back side is shown below) because it's one large piece of fabric that is painted on both sides. The old piece was a quilt that had a white back.

I chose to use lavender as the main color this time because I will shortly have a freshly painted house, which will still be "Lilac" as the main color and the doors will be still be "Grape Hyacinth." I figured I might as well celebrate my love of purple in this year's piece.

I was rushing quite a bit to get the new piece made and installed because of the clematis. Now that I'm looking at it, I'm not sure if I want it to be as flat and screen-like as it is, or of I'd like it to have more shape. I'll be giving this some thought over the next few days, and it's possible that I might add to it. If I do, I'll post new pictures.

Just as I did last year, I will be documenting the life of this outdoor installation over the next year, and will also post pictures of how it responds to nature and how nature responds to it.