Friday, February 8, 2008

Inspiration / Printing and Painting on Fabric - continued

More progress since my last post on January 31th about the new piece I have been working on that's based on a condo construction project in downtown Natick, MA.

On Tuesday night, I was watching TV for the Super Tuesday election results, and I was having trouble sitting still for what I knew was going to be a long night. So, I decided to paint and listen to the TV instead of watch it.


I painted a thin layer of semi-transparent metallic white acrylic paint over the squares and rectangles I filled in on January 31st. It's sort of mindless work, and is perfect if listening to the radio or TV.


After looking at the result on my design wall the next day, I sort of liked what I did, but there was something missing. After some thought, I decided that the three sections needed texture and line. A lot of it. I have always loved Lisa Call's multi-line stitching, so borrowed from her, making sure to be true to my own esthetic.

When I first started stitching the lines, I had one of those "oh no!" moments, because I thought my idea wasn't going to work. After stitching many close lines in the first of three sections, I knew I was doing the right thing, so I felt better and I kept going. After stitching all three sections, I am very pleased with the result. The piece now has texture and line, which is very important to me.

Now to continue on, probably this weekend. I'll report back when I have more to share.