Saturday, December 15, 2007

Printing/Painting on Fabric

Back in July, I was working on two pieces of fabric that I had painted similarly. I got pretty stuck on how to proceed, and I also got really busy, so I haven't touched them since September. (If you click on September, you can follow the links to see the history of what I was doing.) A detail of one of the pieces is above.

Basically, I painted and printed the fabric, but something wasn't quite right, and I couldn't figure out what I needed to do to make it right. A few days ago I was reviewing the work I've done this year, and the work I haven't finished yet. When I looked at these two pieces of fabric, I realized that I didn't like the intersections of the horizontal and vertical lines (see the photo below).

Then I had one of those ah-ha moments when I realized if I worked on the intersections (as Photoshopped in the picture below), I could greatly improve the design.

Now that I know what I need to do, I'm going to grab some time to do it. Phew. I hate being stuck more than I hate being too busy to do art work.