Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Printing/Painting on Fabric

I just finished stitching the piece of fabric that was inspired by the Natick Mall, which I last photographed in whole on the right side of the image posted on July 22nd. I did apply more paint to that piece, but forgot to photograph it again before stitching. I'm preparing to stitch the piece that is on the left side of that same picture (which also has more paint on it than in the picture). I'll get them them both photographed ASAP after the second one is finished.


In the mean time, I'm still working on the two pieces of fabric with the blue "glass tiles" I discussed on July 18th. This is one of the pieces of the unstitched fabric, with small pieces of 1" square black felt pinned to it, to help me figure out a design problem. The problem is the two different sections of this piece do not go well together, so now I'm trying to find a way to make it work (as Tim Gunn from Project Runway would say). Once I've figured out where I would like the black squares to be, I'll hand stamp rubber erasers with fabric paint, to create permanent black squares instead of the felt squares. I like using small pieces of felt to problem solve because they are easily moved. Once fabric paint is on the surface, there's no turning back (unless it gets covered up or cut off).

You can see my posts about the progress of all of these pieces under the heading Printing/Painting on Fabric.