Sunday, July 22, 2007

Printing/Painting on Fabric


This is a really bad photo of the first piece of fabric I'm working on that is inspired by a photo I took of the condos being built at the Natick Mall, as I discussed on July 20th. The picture above shows the front side of the fabric on the left, and the back side on the right.

At the moment, I'm liking the back (right) side of this fabric more than the front. The front side is really dark, and the detail is really hard to see. The back side is more lace-like, and even if it has nothing to do with my inspirational photo, it's sort of interesting to me. I'm going to put this fabric aside for a short while, and start on the second piece in this series. I'm hoping to use what I learned in the first piece, while working on the second.

In the end, I'd like to have two new pieces, with one showing the fabric painted side, and the other with the wrong side of the fabric showing, but we'll see how this turns out. That was my plan with the last two piecesI finished, but I ended up with the back sides of the fabric as the finished work.