Thursday, September 10, 2026

Looking back on September 11, 2001

Looking back on September 11, 2001 and events through December 29, 2001, on the 25th anniversary of 9/11, this is an updated post that was on my blog on September 10, 2011. 

Like I said 15 years ago, I (still) hesitate to post anything 9/11 related since there’s so much in the media, and it was and still is very overwhelming, but because my contribution was visual I decided to do it again on this 25th anniversary.

Until around 2008 or so, I quilted my artwork, and part of that included my making a small art quilt each week from 1999 through 2005.

Out of the 356 small postcard size quilts I made in 2001, the twelve I made from September 9 – December 2001 were about what was going on in the world, but also a little about what was going on in my life combined with my thoughts about what was going on in the world.

On the back of each quilt I wrote notes about what it was about, but I think if you look at each image, you will be able to see and remember much of it (starting at the top left), from the World Trade Center being hit, the patriotism people displayed in response, "Operation Enduring Freedom" and the bombings in Afghanistan to target al-Qaeda and remove the Taliban regime, the letters laced with deadly anthrax spores that were sent through the US postal system, how our military looked for the terrorists while they were hiding underground and in the mountains, and the shoe bomber (remember him?!?!).