Monday, January 2, 2023

New Work: Dates in a Life Walking Project 2022


Dates in a Life Walking Project 2022

January 1 - December 31, 2022

mixed media on stiffened fabric

30” x 37.25”


New work! Dates in a Life Walking Project 2022 was a year-long painting documenting the number of steps I walked each day. I've documented my steps in paintings for the years 2016 through 2022.

The base monoprinted grid for the grid is brown, which is not a color I used as the main color in any paintings before. I stepped out of my comfort zone by using brown with the Iridescent Bronze background paint I used to signify the days I was in the office at work vs. days I was home or away, all of which had an influence on the number of steps I walked each day.

I prefer to walk for exercise, as time permits, outside in addition to whatever other walking I do as I go about my day. My goal is to walk as much as I can every day. I use the Pedometer app on my iPhone to document my steps, miles, and flights of stairs climbed.

I use a system of symbols to represent each thousand steps. Instead of showing exactly how many I walk. The black icons represent up to 9999 steps walked each day, red represents 10,000-19,999 steps and yellow represents 20,000-29,999 steps.