Saturday, January 1, 2022

New work: Dates in a Life Walking Project 2021

Happy New Year! New work, the completed Dates in a Life Walking Project 2021, a year-long painting documenting the number of steps I walked each day. I have been documenting my steps in paintings every year since 2016.

 

I prefer to walk for exercise, as time permits, outside in addition to whatever other walking I do as I go about my day. My goal is to walk as much as I can every day. I use the Pedometer app on my iPhone to document my steps, miles, and flights of stairs climbed.

 

I use a system of symbols to represent each thousand steps walked each day instead of using a number. The black icons represent up to 9999 steps walked, red represents 10,000-19,999 steps and yellow would have represented 20,000-29,999 steps, if I had been able to walk that much in 2021. Historically, walking that much is usually something I get to do when we're away on vacation without a car. That did not happen in 2021 due to the pandemic.

 

The daily background color around the symbols changes each day by fives, depending on how many flights of stairs I climbed. I used two different blues for 1-5 and 6-10, two greens for 11-15 and 16-20, two yellows for 21-25 and 26- 30 and red for 31+, which happened rarely.

 

The yellow dots on this painting represent how many miles I rode my bike.


January 1 - December 31, 2021 is mixed media on 27” x 38.5” stiffened fabric.

 

Because this project motivates me to walk, I will be working on a 2022 Dates in a Life Walking Project painting.