Monday, December 27, 2021

New Work in Progress: Dates in a Life Walking Project 2022

The base monoprinted grid for my 2022 Dates in a Life Walking Project is ready to go. I stitched along the grid following the lines on the printed side (above). When I stiffened the fabric, it was with the back side facing up (below) so the textile paint that soaked through the fabric has an imperfectly colored grid.

In previous walking paintings I have used black, blue, or fuchsia for the background color. The grid for 2022 is brown, which is not a color I have used as the main color in any paintings before. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone. I think the brown will look good with the Iridescent Bronze background paint that I will be using to signify the days I'm in the office at work vs. days I am home or away, all of which have an influence on the number of steps I walk each day. 

Similar to the past six years of making paintings documenting my walking, I will continue to use black symbols for walking up to 9999 steps, red for 10,000-19,999, and yellow for 20,000 or more steps.