Sunday, September 1, 2019

Update: Dates in a Life Project 2019


I'm two-thirds of the way through working on the Dates in a Life Project is a year-long painting project documenting the number of steps I walk each day. 

Walking in August was not as much of a challenge because of the hot weather, as it was in July. It was hot but not too too bad. 

We also went to France for a week and when visiting Lyon, we walked over 20,000 steps two days in a row, which always makes me happy to do, not only for exercise, but as a way to get to know the location better than we would have if we were driving or taking public transportation.

I use a system of symbols to represent each thousand steps. Instead of showing exactly how many I walk. The black icons represent up to 9999 steps walked each day, red represents 10,000-19,999 steps and yellow represents 20,000-29,999 steps. 
To keep track of steps, I use the Health app in my iPhone. 
The daily background color changes season-to-season in this painting. Starting on June 22, the first full day of summer, I changed it to a bright yellow for the summer, but will change to Indian Yellow Hue on September 24th. It was Teal Blue for Winter, then Green for Spring. . When Winter starts again in December, I'll change the color back to Teal Blue.
I use the daily background color to document my daily steps in fractions of 250 steps. As an example, after 2000 steps (which would be the icon with no paint), I'm painting colors to show as close as I can to 2250, 2500, 2750, and then up to 2999, instead of then rounding up to 3000 steps.
One note about the yellow icons for walking over 20,000 steps and the yellow background color for summer. It's a problem differentiating the steps icons next to the background color. I will most likely repaint the background color to a lighter yellow before I finish the year. I also think the bright yellow is not working well with the Teal Blue for Winter and the Green for Spring. I think the lighter yellow will be much better, but I'll make my decision about it after I start using the Indian Yellow Hue in Autumn.
This painting measures 37.5" x 34" and is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence as the background, handstamped rubber erasers on fabric which are collaged on the background grid, as well as handpainting and stitching on stiffened fabric.