Sunday, January 6, 2019

New Year, New Dates in a Life Project

It's a New Year, and time for a new The Dates in a Life Project.

At the end of last year, I finished Dates in a Life Project 2018year-long painting project documenting the number of steps I walk each day.


I really enjoyed working on my 2018 project, and I've begun working on the Dates in a Life Project 2019, this year in a horizontal formatAs I begin the year, it measures 37.5" x 33.5" but I may crop it somewhat before the end of the year.


I prefer to walk for exercise outside, as time permits, in addition to whatever other walking I do as I go about my day. My goal was to walk as much as I can every day. 

To keep track of steps, I used the Health app in my iPhone. 

I'm using the same system of symbols to represent each thousand steps. The black icons represent up to 9899 steps walked, red represents 9900-19,899 steps and yellow represents 19,899--29,899 steps.

Last year I rounded up 2500 steps to 3000. 

Now 1900-2900 steps equals 2000, and 2900-3900 steps equals 3000 steps. The only rounding up I'm doing this year is if I'm 100 steps away from the next thousand.

To be more accurate in my visual record keeping, I'll be adding color to show fractions of 250 steps walked, 2250, 2500 and 2750 (as an example).



The painted colors to show the fractions of 250 steps will represent the different seasons. Winter is teal blue, Spring will be Green, Summer will be Yellow, and Autumn will be Indian Yellow Hue. 

Last year the colors represented bad weather conditions like rain, snow and ice, or extreme heat, being sick, recovering from surgery, being on vacation, and a few other things.






The Dates in a Life Project 2019 is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence as the background, handstamped rubber erasers on fabric which are collaged on the background grid, as well as handpainting and stitching on stiffened fabric.

Look for updates each month.