Thursday, January 20, 2011

12 x 12 x 12 January 2011


With plenty of time to spare, I have finished my January 2011 12 x 12 x 12. This month I experimented with an acrylic skin of a construction fence and some new gels that I've never tried before. Here is a list of the layers +/or techniques I used in this piece, from the bottom up:


- created an acrylic skin

- left to dry over a few nights

- monoprinted fabric mounted on board with matt medium

- left to dry over a few nights

- every other square painted with acrylic paint

- an acrylic skin of a construction fence tacked down with gel

- applied a layer of self leveling gel

- left to dry over a few nights

- yellow painted over the white squares inside the squares of the skin, on top of the gel

- red and green dots painted in misc squares, also on top of the gel

- thick lines of tar gel mixed with black Golden airbrush paint poured on top of the gel, over the skin section

- dried overnight


The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series in 2011 are all going to be mixed media on 12" x 12" x .75" board. If you want to know more about it, you can read past posts
here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.