Monday, July 20, 2015

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 July 2015


12 x 12 x 12 July 2015 incorporates pictures of leaf fragments embedded in ice, layered on top of a monoprint of a construction fence. It's a continuation of my decision to use photos of ice and/or snow from last winter in this year's monthly seriesAs much as I wanted to add color to this piece, cold memories from the winter spoke to me, maybe because it's July and I'm not enjoying the heat.

This is my ninth year working on this 12 x 12 x 12 series. It gives me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each monthIt's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much. The only rules I have are that I have make something in the given month, and I can't throw the work out, even if it's unsuccessful.


I already have acrylic skins of photos of ice and snow ready for the 12 x 12 piece I'll make in August. What I'll do with it I don't know, and won't until I start it on August first or later.