Friday, March 27, 2015

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 March 2015


My new monthly piece, 12 x 12 x 12 March 2015, is a followup to my February and January piecesAll three are created with scraps of colorful monoprinted and painted fabric that has the shape and texture of a construction fence on it. Acrylic skins of photos of pond ice are collaged on top. For my March piece, it's the inverse of the actual photo.

I am really glad I'm doing this series for a ninth year because I have been very busy with other things. This project helps me make time to create at least one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month. That's why I chose the name, 12 x 12 x 12.

It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much. The only rules I have are that I have make something in the given month, and I can't throw the work out, even if it's unsuccessful.

I'm glad this month is almost over because I have a good idea about what I want to work on in April. Or at least an idea of how I want to begin. I never know how it'll end up until it's finished.