Friday, February 13, 2015

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 February 2015


My new monthly piece, 12 x 12 x 12 February 2015 (above), is a follow up to 12 x 12 x 12 January 2015 (below). Both are created with scraps of colorful monoprinted and painted fabric that has the shape and texture of a construction fence on it, and both have acrylic skins of photos of pond ice, both the actual photo and its inverse, collaged on top.

For February, the skins are on top of the construction fence shape. In January's piece, they're on top of the holes in the fence pattern. I may do a combination piece next month, unless something else inspires me instead.


This is my ninth year of creating one mixed media piece on 12" x 12" x 1" board each month. Hence the series' name, 12 x 12 x 12.

It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. It's my monthly time to play. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much. The only rules I have are that I have make something in the given month, and I can't throw the work out, even if it's unsuccessful.