Saturday, April 27, 2013

Bartlett Yard Installation?


As I was in my studio putting the finishing touches on new work for a new temporary public art installation for Bartlett Yard, the site of the former MBTA Bartlett Bus Yard in Roxbury, MA, I found out that there’s a kink in the permitting process with the City of Boston.


The pieces shown above are window coverings for three boarded up windows at the site. They measure 48" square, not including the bottom scalloped edge. They’re made of monoprints of the grids of construction fences on fabric, which is coated so they’re weather resistant. 

Shown below is the back side of the fabric, which I also like, and may consider using instead of the front, when installing on site. It depends on how much or little contrast I'm going to want next to the brick wall.

Assuming the project gets the go ahead, I’m also creating a curtain and valance for a slightly larger than phone booth-sized outdoor cubby, which is also located near the windows on the outdoor “Exhibition Wall”.

You can see the sketches of my planned installation here.

I’m going to sit tight, and see if we’ll be able to install on May 11th as planned. I really hope it happens, because this is a wonderful opportunity for the Boston community, as well as the artists, performers, and others, who will be participating this spring and summer.