Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 in review and what's coming up in 2013

Moving Fences #2mixed media on cradled board, 24" x 20" x 1"

I must say that 2012 was a great art year for me! I created six new series, I created and exhibited a temporary outdoor art installation, I attended an art residency, I was in a number of exhibits, I sold ten pieces of art from two series, I licensed artwork, I wrote a how-to book, and I created and maintained many websites. Here is more information about all that I did…

New Work

This year, I created the following series:

Moving Fences #1 - 6, mixed media on cradled board, 24" x 20" x 1"
Fences and Nests #1 - 12, mixed media on cradled board, 16" x 12" x 1.5", a larger sized commission, Fences and Nests #13, 24" x 18" x 1.5", and also three additional and smaller pieces, Fences and Nests #14 - 16, 10" x 10" x 1.5"
(Fence) Shirts And (Hot) Flashes #1 - 6, mixed media on cradled board, 18" x 14" x 1"  
Fence Fragments from Millay #1 - 30, mixed media on cradled board, 6" x 6" x .75"   
Fence Holes Squared #1 - 12, mixed media on cradled board, 12" x 12" x 1"
12 x 12 x 1212 pieces January through December 2012, created one per month, mixed media on cradled board, 12" x 12" x 1"
Installations
I created Fence/Curtain 2.0, an outdoor temporary art installation for the Boston Center for the Arts, in Boston, Massachusetts. It was exhibited from July 13 - October 14, 2012 in the park in the plaza in front of their building. Having work outside allows the public to see your work 24 hours a day, in different light and weather, which is very different than exhibiting in museums and galleries. I LOVED making and exhibiting my work there!
Fence/Curtain 1.0, a 35' temporary outdoor installation, was at the ConstellationCenter in Cambridge, MA, through March 2012. This piece was extremely large, and I am pleased to report that it did very well outside in various types of difficult weather from fall until spring, including a windstorm!
Exhibits
I was in the following exhibits this year:
The Boston Center for the Arts (BCA), Boston, MA
Art in Odd Places, Endicott College, Beverly, MA
Off the Wall, Danforth Museum of Art, Framingham, MA
A Sense of Place, Fountain Street Fine Art, Framingham, MA
Small Work Show Case Group Show, Fountain Street Fine Art, Framingham, MA
The 8th International Fiber Biennial, Snyderman-Works Galleries, Philadelphia, PA
Contemporary Work in Fiber, University of Mary Washington Galleries, Fredericksburg, VA
A Novel Idea, Hampden Gallery Incubator Project Space, University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA
Work Sold
Meditech, in Framingham, MA, purchased ten pieces for their corporate art collection:
Seasonal Fences #1 Four Seasons - Summer, Winter, Autumn and Spring

Fences and Nests #13, a commission for a private collector

An art quilt, Orange Construction Fence Series #57, from my previous art-making life, was purchased by the Picasso Loft via the Snyderman-Works Gallery in Philadelphia.

Purchased by a private collector, also in the Philadelphia area, was another older piece, 12 x 12 x 12 February 2008.

Licensed Artwork
I licensed a number of images to various venues, and one bought a large quantity. The image of The Fence As Lace #2 was purchased by Tuesday Morning. In its actual size, Fence As Lace #2 is 60" x 48". Tuesday Morning purchased reproductions that are 24" x 30" in size, not including the frame.

Art Residency
In September, I attended a two-week Art Residency at the Millay Colony in Austerlitz, NY. It was a wonderful experience, and very different than my residency at the Vermont Studio Center in May 2011. Millay is a much smaller and isolated residency. When I was there, there were six of us. VSC has up to 60 people at a time.
While at Millay, I worked really hard, usually from 8am until 11pm or midnight every day. It's funny that many people asked me how my “retreat” was, not understanding that a residency is really hard WORK, both physically and mentally. It’s not a retreat.
The art I created at Millay was more labor intensive and time consuming than I expected, and I "only" created three new series, Moving Fences, (Fence) Shirts And (Hot) Flashes and Fence Fragments from Millay. I had hoped to create a fourth series but there wasn't enough time.
deCordova
The deCordova Museum of Art Corporate Art Loan Program in Lincoln, MA has continued the placement my work in a corporate setting in through October 2013.
Book
This year, I wrote a new how-to crafts book entitled Uncommon Cards, which will be published in the spring of 2013. I totally enjoyed the whole process from start to finish, and I hope I have the opportunity to write a third book in the near future. When the time gets closer, I'll post more info, and I'll also have a website with more information.
Web Design
It was a good year for my web design business, Thread Media, Inc. I have number of new clients, some artists, two landscape designers, and also a painter/handyman.
Looking ahead to 2013
I have many ideas for new work to create in 2013. Over the next few months, I will have work on exhibit in four upcoming shows. I'm waiting to hear if I'm accepted for a few awards and fellowships, a number of exhibits, more art licensing arrangements, one of two possible residencies, more web design, the release of my book, Uncommon Cards, and a few workshops I'll be teaching during the year.
I hope you have a happy, healthy and art-filled 2013!