After dinner last night, I finally grabbed some studio time. It's not that I haven't been working since the holidays. I have. A lot. I've been working on (in alphabetical order, not necessarily in this order) art marketing, web design and writing my how-to book.
I picked out fabric to use with the zipper, got my sewing machine out, went to sew the zipper to the fabric, and I had a brain cramp. I couldn't remember how to sew a zipper. I was trying not to get frustrated, because I've been sewing since I was 12 years old, which is a long, long time, and then I realized the reason I couldn't remember how to sew a zipper was because I only had one piece of fabric with no seam and you need a seam to sew a zipper. (How was that for a run on sentence?!?)
I didn't want to lose any of the pattern of my fabric in a seam, so I decided that instead of sewing a zipper the traditional way with a seam, I'd cut the fabric down the middle (sort of) and sew each piece to the zipper instead of sewing the zipper to the fabric. It worked great.I also mounted fabric on the 12" x 12" board so it could dry before the next step.
Because I can be impatient in the studio, like when waiting for things to dry, I gently laid the fabric with the zipper on the damp board, to start thinking about placement and how the fabric below it will show through, something I want to have happen. Sorry about the blurry picture above. I didn't realize it was as I was documenting it.
The next step is to mount the zipper fabric on the dry board, the next time I'm at my studio. I can't wait to do it!
After this start, I have a ton of ideas. I'll probably use the left over zipper fabric from January for my February piece, trying something totally different with the same piece of fabric, before I jump into working on much, much bigger boards for a new series.
When the January piece is finished, hopefully soon but definitely before the end of the month, I'll post a picture of it here and on my website.