Thursday, January 12, 2012

Zippers

I purchased 167 white zippers a few months ago from a neighbor whose grandmother was a seamstress and is liquidating her sewing supplies.

There were many sizes to choose from, and I got 79 that are 24" and 88 that are 45". If there were 48" zippers in the inventory I would have bought them all since the construction fences I print are 48" wide or less and it would have offered me more options, but I settled for the 45" zippers.

When I next have access to a large space to monoprint yardage of construction fences, I hope to work on a new series about feminism called Fences For Girls, which will incorporate many zippers. I've had many ideas for this series since I was at my Art Residency at the Vermont Studio Center last May, but I spent the time working on The Fence As Lace Series and had no time for Fences For Girls.

Between now and when I can work on that series, I'm going to use one zipper in my 12 x 12 x 12 January 2012 piece (as I continue my 12 x 12 x 12 Series into 2012) and many on a new, yet unnamed series on boards.

I have another friend who bought even more zippers than I did. I can't wait to show her what do with mine, and see what she does with hers, and then I'm hoping we can organize an exhibit about zippers.