Thursday, August 19, 2010

12 x 12 x 12 August 2010


My monthly 12 x 12 project is a great time to experiment, so that's why this month I used a picture of a construction fence with dry grasses growing through it as my inspiration. I was going to use a building under construction, but I kept thinking about those fence pictures I recently posted, and the gears started turning. I'll try to use the building in the near future.

I have never in my life (that I can remember) created a landscape that wasn't an total abstraction. This piece was a huge diversion for me, and probably not something I will try again, I don't think. But, I wanted to try something different this month.

Most of the painting is on fabric which was attached to canvas. It's not easy to see, but besides being painted, there also texture because there is stitching along the diagonal edges of the orange fence, and there is also a little bit of stitching at the top of some of the "grasses."

In the past I've stayed away from using diagonally gridded construction fences, but I like the texture of the stitching I did along the diagonal edges of the fence so much, that I do want to think of other ways to use it in future pieces.

12 x 12 x 12 Series August 2010 is 12" x 12" x 1", mixed media on canvas. If you want to know more about the 12 x 12 x 12 series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.