Monday, June 14, 2010

Home Again - two thirds of it


We removed what was left of my installation from the Studios Without Walls exhibit yesterday afternoon. When we went to the site to get it, both my husband and I agreed that it looked like someone had been messing with it again, because it was very disheveled. Something more than just living through a week of on and off heavy rain and wind. Someone also "planted" a small branch in the dirt right next to the left tree. It was awkwardly there for no reason at all.


When we got home, I immediately sprayed both sides of each of the two full remaining pieces, and the small remainder of the third piece, with a hose to get lose dirt, bugs and anything else off of it. Then I draped them over a pair of purple chairs and a wooden bench that are in my yard, so they can dry out of doors. The top two pictures show Weathered Fences #5 and Weathered Fences #6 drying. They are the pieces that were wrapped around the two trees.


The picture above is what's left of the third piece, Weathered Fences #4, which was the center part of my installation, and the part that was stolen. It used to be 48" x 35". Now it's a fragment. I found very obvious places where the remaining piece was cut off of the installation. I'll try to get a better picture of it when it's dry.

You can see various views of the installation before the theft, and one after, on my website.

I do want to say that I am very pleased that the coated fabric did as well as it did outside for six weeks! I have full confidence that the pieces installed in my yard will do very well over the course of a year. I'm also thinking of submitting a design for a year long installation show, in a secluded space, that has a deadline in a few weeks.

This coming Friday, I'll hear whether or not this installation was accepted in to a different show. If it is, I'll either have to remake the center section, or ask for permission to install what's left of it in the new location, as is. I've spoken to a few artists who exhibited at this location, and they didn't have any problems, so if I get accepted, I'd like to give it a go.