Sunday, May 30, 2010

Stolen! Not Just Vandalism


I drove in to Brookline, MA late yesterday afternoon to look at what's left of my piece in the Studio Without Walls show.

On inspection, I found that someone removed the center piece completely. The only way they could have done that was to cut it off my installation, and it was skillfully done. When I installed it, I did it in such a way that it would be very difficult to steal. The theft wasn't a grab and run kind of thing. Someone took great care to not disturb the other two pieces of fabric that were wrapped around each tree, as they removed the center piece. Except for a tiny bit of the bottom of the right/middle part of the piece, there was nothing left.

I knew going in to this that it was possible that my piece could be damaged, vandalized or stolen, but I thought that damage and vandalism were a much bigger possibility than theft.

On the art/craftsmanship side of things, I have to say that I'm really happy with how the coated fabric has survived outside this past month, and I have full confidence that similar pieces will weather well for long periods of time. That includes the work that is now installed in my yard.

I am preparing documentation about how my work was installed, and will be finding out if I need to file a police report with the Brookline or Boston, and if I need to talk to the park rangers.


This is the front side of Weathered Fence Series #4, which is the piece that was stolen.

I am very uncomfortable with the fact that I worked hard to create this work, and that someone may have a piece of art in their possession that they stole. It's creepy, and I don't like it. I'm trying to decide if I'll feel more violated if the second and third pieces are stolen, or if I'd feel the same way I do now. Figuring this out will help me to decide if I want to leave the two trees wrapped as they are now, or remove my work completely.


This is what my piece looked like when I installed it. If the person who stole my work happens to read this blog, SHAME ON YOU!