Thursday, November 5, 2009

Review


My solo show has been reviewed in "Gang of four: New work at 5 Traverse and Providence College," in the Providence Phoenix, by Greg Cook on November 3, 2009.

If you click on the link, scroll down to read the part about my show, or read the reviews section on my website.

This is my first solo show review by an art critic and I am thankful for it. Past reviews that mentioned me have mainly been about my work in groups shows in a textile related periodical, and a (now deceased) Boston area Arts newspaper.

The comments in the review are very helpful in making me think about what direction to take my work. The fact that the reviewer liked the piece I cut up (as do I) is also very helpful feedback. I have been thinking about cutting into more work, and also about whether or not I want to keep "quilting" my work or if I want to simply stitch it and hang the fabric somehow, or mount it on board or canvas.

In March I will be in a two-person show at the Narrows Gallery in Fall River, MA with Catherine Carter. I feel challenged to consider the reviewers comments as I plan and create work for that show, all while keeping true to myself and my art.