Thursday, July 16, 2009

12 x 12 x 12 July 2009


I finished my 12 x 12 x 12 July 2009.

For this month's piece, I wanted to print off of the new white construction fence I bought last month at Lowes, so I could see what the grid looks like printed and painted.

I also wanted to base the design on the new work I'm doing for Orange Construction Fence #69 which is not yet stitched, and for #70 which I just started a few days ago.


After I painted this piece, I decided to cut it and flip one side front to back, so both the light and dark sides of the fabric are showing. After I cut and stitched it, the outer edges were really lopsided and off center, and I really liked the shape. I've recently become very interested in unusually shaped pieces, after seeing what other artists are producing. Unfortunately this piece was made purposely to be a 12" x 12" square when finished because it's part of of series that I've been doing for 2.5 years now. I do plan on creating more work that will stay odd shaped if it happens that way, but it's not going to be part of my 12 x 12 x 12 Series.

If you want to know more about this series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.