Friday, May 15, 2009

Repurposed, Recycled, Reconstructed, Upcycled, Redesigned, Tweaked Sweaters

I've finished working on six (out of 50) repurposed, recycled, reconstructed, upcycled, redesigned, tweaked, used sweaters. I'm still not sure what the appropriate word is for this project.


Striped wool sweater used to be a pullover, and is now cardigan. The tag says size XL, but it's more of a Medium because it appears to have been shrunk in the wash. Needle center opening with small funky buttons. Pocket is needle felted also.


White wool and angora sweater used to be a pullover, and is now cardigan. Size Medium, hand covered fabric buttons.


Grey zippered front wool sweater that has been enhanced with a peplum made from parts of a different sweater and accented with antique trim. Size Petite Medium. (A peplum is a short overskirt or ruffle attached at the waistline.)


Purple wool, nylon and angora sweater that was a pullover and is now a cardigan. Has small embroidered wool flowers with a purple bead in the center, not visible in the picture. Size Small, hand covered fabric buttons.


Grey wool and angora short-sleeve sweater that was a pullover and is now a cardigan. The bottom of the sweater has a lace edge. Size Medium (questionable because it's very small), hand covered fabric buttons.


Purple wool blend sweater with needle felted black dots on entire front, edges of sleeves, and back neck and bottom. Also needle felted black line around all edges of the sweater. Size Small. Long style, with black two buttons.

My plan is to convert all of the pullovers into cardigans. When finished, the sweaters will range in size from women's small to 2X (I think). When I picked out the used sweaters, I tried to get a full range of sizes.

Photo colors may not match the sweaters completely due to differences in individual computer monitors.

I need to design and order labels for this sweater line. The fabric content and cleaning labels, that came with the sweaters, will stay on each individual sweater.

All sweaters are for sale. Where I'll be selling them, I don't know yet. I have some ideas. I would love to hear questions, suggestions and get feedback about the sweaters and where to sell them, so feel free to send me an email at jeanne@jeannewilliamson.com, if you'd like.

Read my last post about this project, which was on May 1st.