Wednesday, May 6, 2009

12 x 12 x 12 May 2009 In Process


I'm working on my May 12 x 12 x 12. Above is the (front) painted side of the fabric, and below the back side. I am uncertain as to which side I want to use for this piece. One part of me wants to stay dark, and the other lighter. so I need to decide. Maybe I should cut it in half and use both the lighter and darker sides. That might work! Gotta think about it.


I'm using this photo, from the NY Times that I used as my inspiration. I posted about it on March 27th.


I decided to use Golden Fluid Acrylics instead of fabric paints this month. As I was getting started, I picked out different colors that matched the window colors as best as possible, and placed them on top of a print out of the photo, on the matching window. I've had a bottle of Golden's GAC 900 Fabric Painting Medium, which I've never used before, and decided to use it on this piece, to see if it made any noticeable changes in the paint. After adding equal drops to my color, I started to interpret the the design on my already monoprinted piece of fabric, painting one color at a time.


When dry, I don't really feel a difference between using the GAC 900, and not using it. The fabric is still pretty crunchy with the Golden Fluid Acrylics, as opposed to using fabric paint, and when I tried ironing the fabric, my iron could not glide over the fabric. Not good because fabric does sometimes need ironing. I need to figure out the best use of Golden Fluid Acrylics in my work vs when I use fabric paint.