Monday, December 1, 2008

Mounting Work


This is "12 x 12 x 12 March 2008 Variation." It's 12" x 12",  and is monoprinted, handstamped, handpainted on cotton, machine stitched, and includes cotton string. It's going to be in a show called "New Focus", that will be on exhibit at the Coos Art Museum, from December 12, 2008 until February 21, 2009.



I made "12 x 12 x 12 March 2008 Variation", right around when I was invited to participate, and I posted it with "12 x 12 x 12 March 2008" (shown above), since I made both at the same time.



The rules for the show are that all work must be 12" x 12" or smaller, and that everyone's work must be mounted on the same size canvas, so it can be easily hung when exhibited. Above is what mine looks like mounted. I'm not a fan of borders in my work, so I'm not crazy about this. I agreed to it when I accepted the invitation, so it'll have to do. I'm hoping that if someone purchases it, that they remove it from the canvas. I stitched it in such a way that it can be very easily removed.


Please don't think of this post as complaining about the presentation. I'm glad to be in this show. The rational makes perfect sense. It's just not something I would do unless asked. I much prefer to mount my work on canvas that's the exact size as the work itself, like the work above, which are also 12" x 12", the exact same size as my New Focus piece.

* * * * * * * * *

Don't forget to visit Small Art Showcase, which is a collection of fine artists who are making their work accessible and affordable to art lovers and collectors, and The Fine Art Department, For All Your Affordable Fine Art Needs.