Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Artist's Valentine / Grant!


It's mid December, and it's time to get ready to submit my 2009 Artist's Valentine, which is due by January 19, 2009. Above is my entry that's made of felt, antique lace and thread.

I found out about The Artist's Valentine from a friend, who had been participating for a few years. Last year was my first time participating, and I posted about the Valentines I made on December 13, 2007, December 14, 2007, and also on December 16, 2007

The idea behind The Artist's Valentine is very clever. Artists submit handmade Valentines, made in any media they want, with no submission fee or jurying. I wasn't able to attend the sale last year, but what I understand is the Committee organizers price all submitted work, that ranges from simple cards to larger works of art, with prices from $3 - $300. The Valentines are sold in early February to the public, at the Kalliroscope Gallery in Groton, MA.

The money raised is used to provide grants to the artists who submitted Valentines. There is a deadline for the artists to submit their portfolio for grant review, and the juror each year is a person involved in the arts in the Boston area, typically from a museum or gallery.

Last year's juror was Allison Kemmerer, Curator of Art since 1950 and of Photography at the Addison Gallery of American Art. She awarded the 2008 grants to five artists, and I was one of the recipients. Last weekend I got to see the work of the other four awardees. I was very impressed, and felt like I was in very good company.


Above is the back side of the Valentine I'm submitting. There's a pocket attached so the sender can put a note inside. What's a Valentine without a note?