Tuesday, November 25, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project


This is the front side of my 48th Weekly Mixed Media piece this year. I'm not posting a back picture this week, because the back is solid gray, and is not worth posting.

I got some antique lace pieces from a friend, and I used one of them in this week's piece. I added a layer of sheer violet fabric on top of the lace and wool fleece, before felting. I can't remember if the violet is silk or other, and I guess it doesn't matter. I wanted to use the violet sheer to help hold the lace in place, but I'm thinking that if I remember, next week I might use another piece of lace without a sheer fabric, and see what happens.

While the violet is nice, and helps with color, it does limit the amount of detail seen in the lace. After felting it as much as I felt I should, I felt it was very boring just looking at a piece of felted lace, so I cut it vertically, and repositioned it back in place off an inch or so. Then I cut it horizontally and repositioned it again. The cut edges were a little floppy because I probably didn't felt them as much as I should have, so I reinforced them with a quick zigzag stitch for further reinforcement.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about it here on my blog.

* * * * * * * * *

Don't forget to visit SmallArtShowcase.com, which is a collection of fine artists who are making their work accessible and affordable to art lovers and collectors.