Friday, October 10, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project


This is the front side of my 41st Weekly Mixed Media piece this year, and below is the back side.


I still had scraps left over from weeks #38 and #39, and decided to incorporate them in to a layer of yellow, and a layer of red, pre-felted fleece. I also used a piece of netting with small dots, that I cut from a piece of antique hat lace. I spend quite a lot of time needle felting it. I plan was for the background to be mainly signal yellow, but the netting wouldn't felt from the top down, so I had to do almost all of the felting form the bottom red side, which took over color-wise. Ugh.

This piece is OK, not great. I do like the back side, which looks very quilted, even as a piece of felt.

I have come to the conclusion that, for this project, I prefer working with patchworked felt, using scraps to create a collage, instead of making one piece of felt as a finished product. This conclusion is VERY interesting to me since in my art work, I use only one piece of fabric, and I add paint until I am happy with it. No collage.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about it here on my blog.