Sunday, August 17, 2008

Design of the Beijing Summer Olympics Medals


I don't know if many people know this, but the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics medals are especially interesting. The designer incorporated jade in the back side of the medals. Quoting from Wikipedia: "In the long history of the art and culture of the enormous Chinese empire, jade has always had a very special significance, roughly comparable with that of gold and diamonds in the West."

On the left is the silver medal with pale green jade, the gold medal is in the center with pure white nephrite, and on the right is a bronze medal with darker green nephrite. Below are images of the front sides, which are also very nicely designed, but I am especially interested in the back sides. I think they are beautiful.


And since this post is about China, I suggest a very interesting movie I posted about on March 21st, called Manufactured Landscapes. It's very good, and has really stuck with me. Please check it out.