Friday, March 21, 2008

Manufactured Landscapes


I was looking over my Netflix queue, trying to decide what movie to move to the top of my rental list so I could see it next, when I realized that Manufactured Landscapes is about the photography of Edward Burtynsky who I mentioned in my February 19th entry about work I liked at Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MassMoCA).

The documentary itself about Burtynsky's photographing quarries and mines in different places in the world, factories, e-waste, and construction/boat building in China, a little about ship deconstruction in Bangladesh, and includes many of his photographs from all of these locations.

Watch the preview of Manufactured Landscapes, to get a taste about what the film is about.

If you rent the movie, be sure to watch the "Gallery of Stills" extra. The photographs are beautiful, and Burtynsky's commentary about his work, research, and info he learned about his subjects is very interesting.