Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On Exhibit at MassMoCA

I visited the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MassMoCA) this past weekend and saw some new work since the last time I was there in May 2007. One show is called Eastern Standard: Western Artists in China, which is open until February 1, 2009. I usually only blog about shows with fiber in them, but I wanted to mention this show because there was some photography I found very inspirational, since I have been using architectural images in my work recently.

Edward Burtynsky's photograph "Manufacturing #4" (Factory Worker Dormitory, Dongguan, Guangdong Province, 2005) had beautiful grids, color and pattern.

Also in this show is Michael Wolf's work. I couldn't find the exact photo from the exhibit on his website, but I found these series: Hong Kong Industrial Architecture and Hong Kong Architecture. I LOVE his photographs! Wonderful grids, line, color, pattern, and texture.

Also at MassMoCA, a "long term installation" Fransje Killaars: Installation: Figures, Colors First, by Amsterdam-based textile artist Fransje Killaars.