Monday, July 21, 2008
Recycling Older Work
In 2003, I made Orange Construction Fence Series #19. It was 38.5" wide x 59" high. I wasn't very happy with it, so I put it aside.
In 2004, I worked on it some more, adding more "color", to see if I could rescue it. I thought it was improved, but I still wasn't in love with it.
In 2007, I cut it up in to twelve pieces and added more paint, working on three from each of the four "rows" and thinking I'd possibly show them by row, or reassemble the whole piece. Below is the result.
By 2007, my work and focus had changed, and I was not happy with the direction I was heading with these twelve sections, so I put it aside once again.
A few weeks ago, I decided to re-work the twelve pieces again. I started by adding even more paint on top of what I had done in 2003, 2004 and 2007, but I was still not satisfied. I painted on the front of almost every piece, and on the back of some, letting the paint soak through to the front. (I discuss how to do this in my book, The Uncommon Quilter.)
Still unhappy, I decided that there was no saving these pieces without drastic action. So, I got a ruler and scissors, and I cut each section in to 2" wide vertical strips, and decided to rearrange and swap strips between two sections at a time, and then sew them together. Above is the detail of one of the sections, from the back side. It gives me ideas for the future.
I will try to post the final results of this project tomorrow. Stay tuned.